La Giralda, considered the most emblematic monument in the city, is the bell tower of the cathedral. At its time it was considered the tallest tower in the world, with a height of 97.5 metres. The tower consists of two different but perfectly unified pieces, which represents the the two different cultures that have shaped the city of Seville.
The muslim body of the Giralda is the oldest one. It was built during 1184 and its original purpose was to be the minaret of the of the Almohad mosque of Seville. The tower does not have stairs, it has ramps which allowed the Sultan to be carried by horses up the tower to admire the beautiful view.
During the 17th century the christian part was added, the bell tower which tops the construction. This was added by the architect Hernán Ruiz. Above there is still another section in a more Renaissance style.
On December 29, 1928, it was declared a National Heritage site, added to the list of Heritage of Humanity sites.